[nycphp-talk] Need help understanding NULL

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Sat Aug 29 16:10:55 EDT 2009

Bev,

This might potentially be wrong, but what I think of NULL is this. If
something is NULL, then you don't know what it is.  It could be empty, or
it could be set.  You just don't know.

If something is empty, then you know it's empty.  So if birthdate is set
to '', then you know they have no birthdate.  But if it's set to NULL, you
don't know if they have one or not.

Sort of how I use it sometimes, and MAY BE WRONG.  So I would listen to
what others have to say =)