[nycphp-talk] PHP Compared to Cold Fusion

Ricky Robinett Ricky at nylontechnology.com
Thu Feb 5 14:16:11 EST 2009

Hey Peter,

I'm prefacing this by saying I love PHP and it is my language of choice, but I also have extensive experience with ColdFusion and I don't feel like all your statements about it are completely accurate (also playing devil's advocate a bit :) ).

1) From my experience, ColdFusion development is typically faster than PHP development, so even though it costs more per hour it can end up being less hours of development time. In a similar way, someone who hires the cheapest PHP developer could end up spending more than hiring a more expensive PHP developer due to the speed and quality of work.
2) A lot of the selling point of CF is that you aren't meant to extend it. It should inherently have what you need already. Although this is not the case 100% of the time I think they do a pretty good job of offering a lot of things that you have to extend PHP for (CAPTCHA and PDF creation/manipulation are a couple that come to mind immediately).
3) Although ColdFusion costs to be on a server, it offers a lot of monitoring information. With ColdFusion Enterprise you can also restart separate server instances (thus not having to take all your sites down for server reboot).
4) True
5) A few high traffic sites (www.senate.gov, http://www.dsireusa.org/i, http://www.energystar.gov, http://www.economist.com, http://www.mayoclinic.com/). Also, MySpace was on CF for a while.
6) This is completely dependent on what your app does, I can think of many instances where CF updates and maintenance on a site are quicker and much less expensive. I can think of situations where PHP is quicker and less expensive.

PHP definitely handles the huge loads better than ColdFusion, and it's something to consider when building an app but I also think it's important to give all languages a fair look.

Thanks!
Ricky

Ricky Robinett
Developer