[nycphp-talk] PHP Compared to Cold Fusion

Ajai Khattri ajai at bitblit.net
Fri Feb 6 22:43:18 EST 2009

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Ricky Robinett wrote:

> 1) From my experience, ColdFusion development is typically faster than
> PHP development, so even though it costs more per hour it can end up
> being less hours of development time. In a similar way, someone who
> hires the cheapest PHP developer could end up spending more than hiring
> a more expensive PHP developer due to the speed and quality of work.

That's probably true of many programming languages. However, I think you'd
have a bigger pool to select good PHP programmers from than the pool for
CF.

> 2) A lot of the selling point of CF is that you aren't meant to extend
> it. It should inherently have what you need already. Although this is
> not the case 100% of the time I think they do a pretty good job of
> offering a lot of things that you have to extend PHP for (CAPTCHA and
> PDF creation/manipulation are a couple that come to mind immediately).

To be fair, I see CF as similar to a framework. After all, its written in
Java right?

> 5) A few high traffic sites (www.senate.gov, http://www.dsireusa.org/i,
> http://www.energystar.gov, http://www.economist.com,
> http://www.mayoclinic.com/). Also, MySpace was on CF for a while.

The fact that MySpace moved away from CF speaks volumes.

--
Aj.