[nycphp-talk] Link to PHP article in InformationWeek

Alan Seiden alan at alanseiden.com
Wed Feb 11 12:26:39 EST 2009

PHP has been officially supported on IBM i since 2006, when Zend/IBM
began providing IBM i's users with a no-charge package consisting of
Zend Core, Studio, support, and special extensions.

(IBM i is the newest name for a system formerly called AS/400, iSeries,
i5, and System i.)

So what's the news about? Till now, Zend Core was only available as a
download. Now, IBM is making a big statement by including Zend Core on
IBM i's operating system CDs. Because many IBM i customers take their
lead from IBM, customers will see this as a strong signal that it's OK
to use PHP.

These days, I specialize in implementing PHP on IBM i. I've even done
gigs to mentor teams in implementing Zend Framework on their "i", with
its special version of db2 and all.

I agree with Brian that there's opportunity for PHP developers
interested in converting or front-ending text-based "i" applications.

Alan
--
Alan Seiden
Senior Developer/Technical Lead