[nycphp-talk] Recycling of ini files

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Mon Feb 16 09:14:47 EST 2009

Hi David:

> Yesterday I applied patches and upgrades to my servers (Apache, MySQL,
> PHP) and while that worked out nicely except that I yet again have to
> recreate all the MySQL user accounts

Uh, "have" is the wrong word there. :)  You don't need to drop a database
before upgrading.  You leave your old tables in place and MySQL provides
upgrade scripts that implement changes between server versions.

> Can I recycle the ini/conf files for Apache and PHP going from version to
> version?

Of course.

To simplify tracking and maintenance, in major systems I've worked on,
the configuration files only contained a few lines.  Those lines adjusted
the settings that we didn't like the default values built in to PHP,
MySQL or Apache.

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/