[nycphp-talk] State Of The PHP Economy 2009

Jerry B. Altzman jbaltz at altzman.com
Wed Jan 14 10:38:45 EST 2009

on 1/13/2009 5:42 PM Brian Dailey said the following:
> How has the economic apocalypse left the PHP world?
> So far I've heard some rumors of job layoffs, but most of them have been
> relegated to the financial sector. Every freelancer/consultant I know of
> that has been in business for more than a year is doing great, but
> recent starters are having a harder time of it.

Strangely, and thankfully, business "on the outskirts" is still pretty
brisk.

> Venture capital money is starting to tighten up (but not as much as I
> thought it would), which more or less affects the PHP world since PHP
> tends to see more use in startups.

Not as strange as you'd think: now is the time that venture money is
chasing after "something new", since everything "old" is tanking mightily.

> What are you guys hearing out there? What's the job market like in NYC?

I don't want to cast any evil eyes, so I'll just say that NYC has not
sunk into the Atlantic Ocean, rumors to the contrary notwithstanding.

> - Brian Dailey

//jbaltz
--
jerry b. altzman        jbaltz at altzman.com     www.jbaltz.com
thank you for contributing to the heat death of the universe.