[nycphp-talk] JSON and MVC

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Mon Jul 20 09:21:00 EDT 2009

> In a prior engagement, we were using XUL as the view and JSON as the
> communication protocol.  This was nice, since the entire user interface
> resided on the user's desktop (as a Firefox Add-on), all we needed to
> transmit was the data.  Of course, you need to be using HTML, so
> transpose the XUL I'm showing here into HTML.  The framework we created
> used a consistent naming scheme, so the names of elements in the XUL
> matched identifiers in the database.

Thanks Dan and all for their feedback.

>From what I've gleamed from this discussion and others, Javascript code for
any given modern web application, is ever increasing.  It's getting more and
more complex, to the point, dare I say, that much of the MVC functionality
is actually living in the browser, and less so on the server - the server is
becoming dumber and only performs simple operations and consistency/security
checks.

I think this really begs some questions on current server-side frameworks
and the MVC methodology.  Changes like this have already begun, namely in
RoR and other platforms.

Time for another framework folks :)