[nycphp-talk] Frameworks & Fast Iterations

David Mintz vtbludgeon at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 09:49:16 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Jake McGraw <jmcgraw1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 6:39 AM, Petros Ziogas<petros.ziogas at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I have the exact same problem.
> > I find it a little immature to change the way a framework is deployed and
> > the setup after 6 months.
> > I created a nice CMS based on Zend 1.6 and now I see that 1.8.4 is
> > completely different and nothing works.
> > I am one step from going back to my own framework where I kept everything
> > under control.
>
> What do you mean nothing works? I'd be interested to hear what your
> issue is since I've been developing apps in using Zend Framework MVC
> since 1.5 and the only changes I've had to make are associated with
> Zend_Loader and adding support for Zend_Application_Bootstrap. I use
> the unofficial/official PEAR channel (http://pear.zfcampus.org/) to
> keep up to date.

Well, going from the general to the specific, I can jump in with an example
of an irritating BC breakage between ZF 1.7.8 and 1.8.x. The behavior of
Zend_Filter_Input has changed in several ways such that the examples in
their own docs no longer work as advertized. Issues have been filed but
AFAIK no one seems to care enough to fix.

Makes me want to take another hard look at Cake, which I turned away from
when I first tried it a couple years ago because things that I thought
should be fairly simple -- e.g., writing custom input validation -- were
painful, and the docs were well-meaning but wanting. Looks both of the above
have been addressed since then.

--
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

The subtle source is clear and bright
The tributary streams flow through the darkness