[nycphp-talk] Best Cell Phone for a PHP Programmer

Chris Snyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 13:25:53 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Ajai Khattri<ajai at bitblit.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Chris Snyder wrote:
>
>> I wonder how many App Store "native" apps are really HTML+JS "web"
>> apps and use Objective-C to display a WebKit view of local files? Like
>> Dashboard widgets, but for the phone. I know there is at least one
>> framework that makes this easy to do.
>

> Phonegap?

That's one (http://phonegap.com/) and it builds cross-platform apps,
too. Very nice, have you used it?

Of all the latest phone OSes, Android seems the most capable as far as
having the freedom to get the phone to do exactly what you want. If
you don't like the music player it ships with, you can build a better
one without sacrificing the ability to play tracks in the background.
The only caveat is that you'll be building it in Java.

The Pre sounds like it's the easiest in which to build rich apps. Has
anyone here actually tried the SDK yet?