[nycphp-talk] databases with PHP

Anthony Wlodarski ant92083 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 21:21:45 EDT 2009

We use PostgreSQL for our environments.  Although it is quite powerful there
are some ease of use issues with tuning and getting it to perform at its
maximum.  But the great thing about PostgreSQL is transactions right out of
the box, that has been the most useful feature so far.

I haven't had a chance to play with Oracle but I don't see them GPL'ing that
DB any time soon.  Clients pay too much to use it.

-Anthony

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 8:13 PM, David Krings <ramons at gmx.net> wrote:

> Jesse Callaway wrote:
>
>> I think the idea is that MySQL had a decent business model and was
>> doing quite well. If Oracle does decide to shitcan it, it's GPL'd
>> anyway and will live on kinda like CentOS does.
>>

> Besides that MySQL forked already and while I do like and use MySQL, there
> is still PostgreSQL (did I write that correctly, people always go bonkers
> when I write it wrong) and plenty of other options. Unless one has MySQL
> specific code (which would be a bad thing anyway) swapping out database
> engines should be fairly easy. Nice thing is that PHP supports pretty much
> any database engine out there.
>
> David

Anthony W.
ant92083 at gmail.com