[nycphp-talk] front end design

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Fri Nov 20 21:04:25 EST 2009

selyah wrote:
> Hello Guys:
> I am hoping that I can get a direction to take on this issue.  I have
> designed a back-end program using Java.   The purpose of this program is
> to be used as an inventory of items in the home or small office.  I
> could use PHP embeded into HTML, but then I would have to make it a part
> of the browser, which is not my intension (at least i think ).
> I am using Java because of its cross platform capability.
> The issue is, can anyone direct me on a interface to use that would
> serve as a front-end for this program.
> I have never done front end programming before that was not related to a
> database so I am a bit at a lost  as to how or where to begin.
> Thanks in advance
> Ian

Well, you can do the front-end in Java as well. You know how to use Java and
there are controls, libraries, etc. available for front-end (assuming GUI)
development. But, you can also use PHP for that. It is not the typical use for
PHP, but that is why some clever people created GTK. Take a look here:
http://gtk.php.net/

Then again, what is the problem with having the UI in the browser?

David