[nycphp-talk] front end design

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Fri Nov 20 22:15:08 EST 2009

selyah wrote:
> thanks for the input.  it has to be independent of the browser.

Why? I don't understand why that restriction is in place. Sure, you need a web
server then as well because PHP is server side scripting, but there are plenty
of very simple web servers that could be used. If it has to be OS independent
and Java is present (which is a given as you need it for the backend) you can
use a small Java web server like this one: http://tjws.sourceforge.net/

Is the no browser rule something you chose or is that a requirement of the
end-user / customer? I find it much easier to use the browser as UI container
because you already know how that works using PHP. Since an inventory program
is mainly input driven anyway making it a browser based app is typically the
way to go. So if you are more comfortable coding for a browser interface then
I'd recommend doing that.

David