[nycphp-talk] front end design

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 07:24:44 EST 2009

One possibility is to treat your "backend" as a service.  Build in a mini
web server, and expose the data list/update/delete methods as an API[SOAP,
REST, whatever]

So, for example, to get a list of all items in office 1, the url might be
http://localhost:8887/listItems?oid=1

And that returns data in some format, for example and readability, CSV
response
itemid,itemname,itemlocation
005,computer,desk
009,cablemodem,shelf

Than your frontend application can be designed in many different ways, and
they get their data from the backend using the API

If you wanted a PHP solution, that could be put on a web server and run
locally.
If you wanted another Java app, that can be compiled and run indepedently
etc

This also means that you have the ability to provide your application in
different ways.  For those who don't want to run it locally, you could run
the backend on your own web server and give them access to it.

You can also design a PHP frontend to be hosted remotely on your server, so
if their at a friends house they can go to the webserver frontend on his
machine and show them their new cool app without bringing their computer
along.

Note: the above example lacked security.  For a real app, you would want to
have some sort of logon/credentialling step and then those credentials would
be passed for all future data requests in addition to the the other commands
and variables.