[nycphp-talk] Database vs. Code

Jake McGraw jmcgraw1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 08:44:35 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 2:00 AM,  <matt at atopia.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on a new project and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what should go in the code vs. Database for this project.
>
> The database is a forum type schema, so there are a lot of transactions going on. For instance, when a record is inserted into a post table, two counters elsewhere also need to be updated. I was going to use triggers for this functionality, but we have 3 front ends to the site as well. So that has made me want to use stored procedures, but that will limit us to this specific database software (mysql).

Limit you to a specific database, the same database that thousands of
companies successfully use for handling billions of transactions every
day? I'd say the likelihood of you switching databases later in the
application life cycle is slim to none. After you've invested a few
weeks of development, stored procedures or not, you'll likely have
started using vendor specific features, such as LIMIT, which is not
implemented the same way in all database engines.