[nycphp-talk] Database vs. Code

Tom Melendez tom at supertom.com
Mon Nov 30 11:10:58 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:44 AM, Jake McGraw <jmcgraw1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Limit you to a specific database, the same database that thousands of
> companies successfully use for handling billions of transactions every
> day? I'd say the likelihood of you switching databases later in the
> application life cycle is slim to none.

+1.  You're not going to take switching the db lightly and the chance
of "just loading up the data in the new db and switching a config
file" without changing any code is slim to none.

More likely, you'll create a new client (iPhone App, etc.) that you'll
want to talk to the same database.  Putting your logic in the db
eliminates the need to recode that logic.

Thanks,

Tom
http://www.liphp.org