[nycphp-talk] Database vs. Code

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 12:29:10 EST 2009

This is what REST was intended for.

You don't need to limit yourself to one database; and you don't need
to tie to any specific language. Scale shouldn't be limited by a
single database either...

By providing a REST API to your data, you push the concept of stored
procedures up the stack, making it a LOT easier for you to scale the
database as there's no reliance on stored procs.

Second, any language talking HTTP POST/GET is able to interface with
your REST systems, freeing you to choose the right tool for the job.
PHP, java, ruby, whatevah!

Third, REST can also be load balanced across many systems, greatly
simplifying your needs when it is time to scale the system out.

Fourth, REST can be load balanced by URL - assuming you have a half
decent load balancer - so you can segment your REST services based on
function: Authentication, Registration, Purchase, etc.

This is really a perfect situation for a REST service, and you should
consider it.

And on alternative database engines, MongoDB also will have a huge
impact on your development, as you're able to do a lot of
"unthinkable" things that just don't work in the old relational model
- such as your "insert once, update many counters" example is a
perfect fit. MongoDB is great for real time analytics and some pretty
high traffic sites can attest to how well MongoDB performs in that
scenario.

-- Mitch