[nycphp-talk] Drupal Framework / CMS Question

Damion Hankejh d at ingk.com
Fri Oct 9 10:39:54 EDT 2009

In practice, Drupal proved far too primitive for a project my company is
currently working on in social networking.  The need for customization
outstripped the usefulness and time savings of its base functionality. After
~2 months of working with it and some top-shelf Drupal consultants, we
scrapped everything in Drupal and returned to our custom PHP/MySQL/Smarty
code base -- I quickly grew tired of hearing, "Drupal does things this way,
so we have to rewrite this module."  In hindsight, the time spent
customizing Drupal to meet our requirements would have been better used to
roll our own features.  Less sophisticated applications may thrive on a
Drupal CMS foundation.  This is perhaps one example from which the "failed
programmer" cry stems -- in other words, the offending Tweeter might have
been suggesting that a capable programmer(s) could do more (perhaps faster)
by rolling their own system (although I agree the Tweet is more than a tad
dramatic).  Your impression of Drupal may prove different depending on
project requirements.  In the end, our team has found it far easier to
customize/perfect our own code than to re-tool someone else's code.  I
haven't looked at Joomla enough to form an opinion, but I admire some
elements of CakePHP -- we have borrowed some ideas from Cake and nothing
from Drupal.
---
Damion Hankejh | hankejh.com