[nycphp-talk] Drupal Framework / CMS Question

Anthony Wlodarski ant92083 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 10:19:35 EDT 2009

As a former developer and contributor to the original core of Thrillist.com
(built with Drupal 5.x), I can safely say that it is the wrong technology
for a lot of websites.  It may be great for what Mitch stated, "community
sites" but other than that it is a failure in many respects.  Even with 6.x
there are major scalability issues and most of the major modules available
have poor contribution support which means when they break you are S.O.L.
(but that is with any Open Source software and I won't go on because Drupal
gave me a venue to start my career).

My big concern is that these companies consider products like Drupal a
"framework" when they are not, especially NBC.  Many of our careers start
with different pieces of technology, mine started with Drupal and I have on
since then and have been working heavily with CakePHP and I can easily
duplicate many of Drupal's modules quite easily within a few hours.  It is
all relative to your position at the time, and if you are making money using
Drupal, who cares what anyone else says.

Also Mitch, viva la Vi! ;)

-Anthony

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Mitch Pirtle <mitch.pirtle at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Webmaster,
>
> I'm a Joomla founder so I should be as biased as they come. My only
> complaint about Drupal is folks calling it a framework, which it is
> not.
>
> That aside, Drupal is experiencing huge growth and many developers are
> taking advantage of it as their base platform for developing sites. A
> strength is community sites, where Drupal's flexibility really shines.
>
> I suspect this person you are referring to (the offending Tweeter, er,
> Twit) is just a troll starting up another tired round of vi-vs-emacs,
> linux-vs-osx, and so on... Drupal is great, and to be blunt, ALL
> current frameworks, platforms and languages have reached a level of
> maturity that you choose what fits the way you like to think, and like
> to code.
>
> -- Mitch
>
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 12:12 AM,  <webmaster at vbplusme.com> wrote:
> > Hello NYPHP,
> >
> > I have seen a few posts here about DRUPAL and decided to take a look
> > at it to see if it might be useful for some of my projects.
> >
> > I noticed a few days ago that someone did a Twitter post and said that
> > DRUPAL is what you use when you are a "failed" programmer. From what I
> > can see so far, DRUPAL seems to be a "core" that pretty much takes
> > care of all the "busy work" that you would normally have to spend huge
> > amounts of time on if you were programming a site from scratch, i.e.
> > user authorization, permissions, etc. etc. I don't see that this makes
> > for the argument that anyone who uses it is a "failed" programmer and
> > if that is indeed true, what makes cumbersome frameworks like CAKE or
> > equivalent software not fall into the same "failed" programmer
> > category.
> >
> > I realize that this was a "shoot from the hip" comment but would
> > really like to hear other opinions about it. So far, I don't see the
> > correlation between DRUPAL and "failed" programmer, what am I missing?
> >
> > TIA for any comments.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> >  Webmaster                          mailto:webmaster at vbplusme.com