[nycphp-talk] talk Digest, Vol 36, Issue 14

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Wed Oct 14 14:42:38 EDT 2009

At 10:01 AM -0700 10/14/09, Kristina Anderson wrote:
>  >So true.  Unless the total value is less than $5,000 (in NYS that's the
>small claims court limit), or over  $75,000 (because if it's not, good
>luck finding an attorney who will come out of their torpor long enough
>to take your call)...basically with the way things are, you're out of
>luck.
>
>So really a smart thing to do with anyone you don't trust (aside from
>not working for them) is to keep things in increments of $5,000 or less
>if possible...
>
>Kristina

That's really a great way to handle the money your client is going to
pay you In-State. In other words, keep the amount regarding the
current project below the small claims court threshold -- check your
own State for limits.

The problem that most of us have, or at least me, is that the
majority of my clients are out of State (some out of country). I
seldom have recourse in small claims court. And even if I do win
venue, then there's the matter of collection. While the court may
award you the right to collect, it doesn't guarantee that you will
collect or even help you find where their money is. Most people think
that when you win that the court somehow gives you a check, but that
is far from the truth. You have to do the collection yourself OR hire
someone to collect for you, which can be very expensive.

Cheers,

tedd

PS: I had to look up "torpor" -- good word.

--
-------