[nycphp-talk] talk Digest, Vol 36, Issue 14

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Wed Oct 14 13:01:35 EDT 2009

> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:36 AM, tedd <tedd at sperling.com> wrote:
> > Plus, your client doesn't have to have any proof whatsoever to take
you to
> > court. To defend yourself can easily run $20k -- been there, done
that!

> > Brian -- talk to an attorney and not this list! You won't find much
> > worthwhile help here.
>
> ++
>
> All I can add of value is that I've learned from painful, recent
> experience that a contract is not worth the paper it is written on
> unless is has a value in the six-figure range, because it will need to
> be that valuable before it is worth going to court over.
>
> Court fights can take YEARS, and will easily exceed the value of the
> contract you're fighting over.
>
> I didn't learn this until after I had consulted with an attorney, and
> that was right before going to court.
>
> -- Mitch
> '

So true.  Unless the total value is less than $5,000 (in NYS that's the
small claims court limit), or over  $75,000 (because if it's not, good
luck finding an attorney who will come out of their torpor long enough
to take your call)...basically with the way things are, you're out of
luck.

So really a smart thing to do with anyone you don't trust (aside from
not working for them) is to keep things in increments of $5,000 or less
if possible...

Kristina