[nycphp-talk] developer's machine specs -- recomendations?

Allen Shaw allen at TwoMiceAndAStrawberry.com
Sun Oct 18 20:50:30 EDT 2009

Who here is happy with their current development machine?  Would you
care to share your hardware specs?

I'm looking to upgrade my 7-year old desktop for something with a little
more snap.  Hopefully under $1000, but it's been ages since I shopped
prices, so clue me in if I'm naive.

For context: This is for full-time web app development primarily in PHP,
running some flavor of Linux.  Essentially no graphic design work at
all.  Desktop or laptop, I'm indifferent.

For the most part I've been fine with my current setup, but I recently
started using a framework which, for all I can do to it, takes 10 and 15
seconds to render a page on this machine. I've finally decided just to
throw hardware at it.  Page-load times are unnoticeable on my rented
hosting servers, so I can't really blame the framework.  On this
machine, when I'm loading pages all day trying "this way" or "that way",
those 15-second page loads add up pretty fast.

I'd love to hear any advice on what makes a good web developer's
machine.  At this point I don't have a lot of places to ask, other than
vendors who'll just sell me as much as they can con me into.

Thanks,
Allen

--
Allen Shaw
TwoMiceAndAStrawberry.com

"Data Management, Web Applications, and the Meaning of Life"