[nycphp-talk] virtualization options...

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Mon Oct 19 07:10:03 EDT 2009

Michael B Allen wrote:

> That is not my experience. I have 4-5 Windows and Linux guests running
> at the same time in VMWare Server on cheap desktop grade boxes running
> Linux. As long as you have a lot of memory (4 GB is good) and you
> install VMWare Tools on the Windows guests, VMWare Server performs
> just fine.

I was comparing it to Citrix, which is easily a 1/3rd faster on the same
hardware. I use VMWare Server and it works, I like especially that I can
connect to VMs and manage the system using a browser, but the quality of the
admin interface is IMHO plain horrible like all the other admin tool from
VMWare. Slow and crashy. For example on ESX I use third party tools for the
most important tasks such as file copying. At work we decided to dicth ESX and
go with Citrix, much faster and costs less. And yes, without VMWare tools the
VMs are useless.
Since the request was for 'laptop' virtualization I'd give VirtualBox a try
first. If that doesn't pan out try VMWare Server.

David

No virus found in this outgoing message
Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (6.1.0.25 - 6.13500).
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/