[nycphp-talk] developer's machine specs -- recomendations?

Jake McGraw jmcgraw1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 16:32:51 EDT 2009

Get the cheapest Intel based, aluminum MacBook with an end-user
serviceable HD and RAM. Do not buy the white plastic MacBooks, they
chip and warp like crazy, I've owned 4 (3 companies + 1 for my
girlfriend) and every single one has warped or chipped in some way.
Throw in 4GB+ RAM and at least a 7200RPM HD, though you may opt for a
SSD. Buy an external monitor (24"+) and you're good to go.

Little off topic, if you do end up going with a laptop, I highly
recommend signing up for a backup service. Personally I use
https://www.backblaze.com/, and I couldn't be happier. Stolen or lost
laptops can be replaced, a few years worth of code can not.

- jake