[nycphp-talk] developer's machine specs -- recomendations?

Edward Potter edwardpotter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 12:03:23 EDT 2009

A MacBook is pretty much a gift from God and Steve Jobs. You can run the
world from Washington Square Park.  :-)

Apple Stock up now what 20X? over the last few year? BECAUSE it's machines
are mind blowing amazing. It's the most amazing development environment I've
ever used. I love the glossy display by the way.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 7:15 AM, David Krings <ramons at gmx.net> wrote:

> Ajai Khattri wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009, John Campbell wrote:
>>
>>  My new computer has a glossy display, and the
>>> reflection is terrible with a black background in the terminal.
>>>

>> Did you not expect that? Its the major complaint with the glossy Apple
>> laptops... Im not sure but at some point Apple decided to ship all their
>> low-end MacBooks with only glossy screens (no matte option). In fact, my old
>> iBook had a better screen (until it was stolen).
>>

> Making a matte finish is an extra step, means it costs more money. After
> all, Apple is nothing more than a publicly traded company that does very
> well with consumer electronics (and yea, they make some not so shabby
> computers as well). So anything that increases shareholder value while
> keeping people buying stuff is a good move. And maybe their spin doctors
> came up with an explanation why reflections on the screen are not a bug, but
> a feature.
>

>  Does anyone know of a good insurance provider for laptops? Being portable
>> makes them so easy to steal...
>>

> You may want to check your renters or home owners insurance. They usually
> include an extra bucket for electronics and typically consider the inside of
> your car as part of the living space. Doesn't help when your laptop gets
> stolen at a customer's site, coffee shop, train, plane....
> I'd contact insurance companies and ask. I am sure they sell you insurance
> for anything as long as you are willing to pay.
>

> David

IM/iChat: ejpusa
Links: http://del.icio.us/ejpusa
Follow me: http://www.twitter.com/ejpusa