[nycphp-talk] developer's machine specs -- recomendations?

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Tue Oct 20 07:15:07 EDT 2009

Ajai Khattri wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009, John Campbell wrote:
>
>> My new computer has a glossy display, and the
>> reflection is terrible with a black background in the terminal.
>
> Did you not expect that? Its the major complaint with the glossy Apple
> laptops... Im not sure but at some point Apple decided to ship all their
> low-end MacBooks with only glossy screens (no matte option). In fact, my
> old iBook had a better screen (until it was stolen).

Making a matte finish is an extra step, means it costs more money. After all,
Apple is nothing more than a publicly traded company that does very well with
consumer electronics (and yea, they make some not so shabby computers as
well). So anything that increases shareholder value while keeping people
buying stuff is a good move. And maybe their spin doctors came up with an
explanation why reflections on the screen are not a bug, but a feature.

> Does anyone know of a good insurance provider for laptops? Being portable
> makes them so easy to steal...

You may want to check your renters or home owners insurance. They usually
include an extra bucket for electronics and typically consider the inside of
your car as part of the living space. Doesn't help when your laptop gets
stolen at a customer's site, coffee shop, train, plane....
I'd contact insurance companies and ask. I am sure they sell you insurance for
anything as long as you are willing to pay.

David