[nycphp-talk] Off the shelp CMS w/o the layout?

Peter Becker peterbsemail at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 22:07:43 EDT 2009

OK, So thank you so much for the input, but now here's the funny part
Mitch....the first prototype site that we somewhat inherited and are
completely redoing from scratch (nearly), used a combination of Joomla
and PHP :-))  This was less to get away from anything in particular,
just that we know a lot more about what we need to do now and the
business is smart enough to let us do the right thing (so rare these
days).

There are some great things about Joomla, but the site implementation
felt somewhat schizophrenic in that there was the Joomla half and the
PHP half.  I'm sure there's better ways to integrate between the two
than was done, but we had no deep expertise in Joomla and managing the
site between/across dev, staging, preprod and prod, became quite onerous
with separate instances of Joomla on dev, preprod and prod.  Felt almost
like it was defeating the whole purpose of a CMS.

As we're at the beginning stages of spec'ing out the new site, nothing
is off the table, and maybe there is a clean way to integrate Joomla
into Zend (and this is a consideration), but it seems like a lot of
overhead for things we just don't need....ergo trying to do a more clean
break between the style (handled through Zend) and the content (handled
through ?).  The challenge with most of the tools/frameworks out there
is that they want to make building a site as easy as possible which
usually means mashing the 2 together.  But there always seems to be that
point of diminishing returns where you start spending more time on the
work arounds than you ever saved in the beginning - ahh the trade-offs.

Anyway - really appreciate the input and the team here had not heard of
the other suggestions that were made, but are now looking at and
evaluating.  Thank you, this really is a great group and think I (or my
team) may have even met some of you at Code Works 09 in Manhattan.
We're going to try and get down to the next local meeting if we can
(we're in CT).

Peter