[nycphp-talk] Off the shelp CMS w/o the layout?

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Sat Oct 24 16:03:47 EDT 2009

> ummm, from my experience, in the end it is REALLY easy to just write
your
> own CMS. You can trash 98% of what the bloated CMS packages out there
give
> your. You just don't need it. It's so overkill.

The ease of doing it from scratch varies depending on the complexity of
both the site's front end, and the internal editorial/content approval
processes that need to be provided, and of course as usual you have IT
managers who are convinced that "doing it with frameworks" will save
tons of time and money.

I've also had the experience of debugging and stabilizing some
extremely poorly designed written-from-scratch PHP CMSes which lacked
basic stuff like proper edit-mode handling and whose UIs were almost
impossible for the end-users to understand...

So while rolling your own CMS is certainly a viable option, these
frameworks offer a lot of advantages even if they are somewhat bloated
with idiotic features.  I'm also in a position where this architecture
was "decided upon" by persons with no actual experience doing things
this way...which is where the proof-of-concept comes in.  We may do a
180 if required.

Kristina