[nycphp-talk] Need help understanding NULL

David Mintz vtbludgeon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 16:56:56 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Fee, Patrick J (US SSA) <
patrick.fee at baesystems.com> wrote:

> As a Lifetime Baseball fan (married over home plate back in 2000),
> career-long web-programmer (I remember when NYPHP was first getting
> started), and long time stalker of this list, I second Kristina's "Love It".
>
> As programmers, we spend a lot of time using metaphors to explain what we
> are doing in a way easily understood by others. I've even explained the
> ins-and-outs of MX records by using a "delivery to an upscale apartment
> building" metaphor.  But the baseball metaphor and Tao reference are best
> I've seen in a while... both for their simplicity and universal (at least in
> North America) appeal.

Ah, not just in North America. Baseball is popular in Japan, Central
America, the Carribean, etc etc because people like it, because it's *good*.
One of those exports the US can feel proud of, unlike, e.g., McDonald's.

As for Tao and all that, don't get me started, it's a favorite subject. My
sig is excerpted from a poem that has several published translations, known
where I come from as "The Identity of Relative and Absolute", by the 8th
century Chinese Ch'an (Zen) Master Shitou. It's in the Zen tradition, but
has a strong Taoist influence.

You know the deal:  Ordinary mind is Tao.

Have a great weekend.

--
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

The subtle source is clear and bright
The tributary streams flow through the darkness