[nycphp-talk] does Dreamhost suck?

David Mintz vtbludgeon at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 11:35:16 EDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Michael Southwell <
michael.southwell at nyphp.com> wrote:

> David Mintz wrote:
>
>> I have been using Dreamhost because it's cheap and provides what I need
>> and has a really weird and funny newsletter.
>>

> with the emphasis on weird ;-)
>

>> However, if you need a custom php.ini, the instructions are found at
>> http://www.wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/PHP.ini with a great big
>> disclamer to the effect that if it suddenly breaks, you're on your own. Sure
>> enough, my little php app suddenly broke. Tore my hair out for a while, then
>> finally worked around.
>>

> I have had the exact same experience. When you say "worked around," do you
> mean that you couldn't solve the problem? What happened to me was that they
> changed something which meant that the default path to mail was no longer
> good, so I couldn't send mail; but when I finally figured that out, I fixed
> it by setting the path and the issue was over.

Within a particular subdir of the site, I wanted to auto_prepend a file
containing authentication logic, set my include_path to point to my personal
library, etc. I ended up sticking the path to my libs in $_SERVER via SetEnv
in a .htaccess so it wouldn't have to be hard-coded but once. Then I
manually edited the few files to require() my auth.php, rather than
auto_prepend it.

I would have cheerfully used "php_value foo bar" in my .htaccess for all my
initialization needs, but that technique evidently doesn't work when php is
in cgi mode.

>> Is the ability to customize your php.ini asking too much of a low-end
>> shared-hosting provider?
>>

> uhh, but in fact they did provide that for you (and me), no? They just
> don't provide any support for it.

I am having a polite little argument about that with them. I said, in
substance, OK, so what is the official way to set up one's own php.ini, and
they said we'll get back to you.

--
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

The subtle source is clear and bright
The tributary streams flow through the darkness