[nycphp-talk] MAMP or XAMPP ?

Paul A Houle paul at devonianfarm.com
Thu Apr 29 12:34:52 EDT 2010

David Mintz wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Anthony Wlodarski
> <ant92083 at gmail.com <mailto:ant92083 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I would never recommend that on Ubuntu or a Debain package based
>     systems.  Use "sudo tasksel" and then select "LAMP Server".
>     Tasksel is a package management tool for the meta packages that
>     point to the most recent version of the software that exists in
>     the stack.  That way you don't have to piece together PHP5, MySQL,
>     and Apache and their latest versions.  Since learning about
>     tasksel I have been loving Ubuntu 9.10 server edition and rolling
>     out new instances.

    Maybe I'm old fashioned,  but I still install my server stack with
the old

./configure
make
make install

on both Linux and Mac machines.  It certainly makes your machine grind
for a while,  but it's not very intellectually challenge.  It seems like
I often need to compile something a little weird into my PHP,  and I
like the level of control over the configuration I get.

    Now when I want to mess with the "AMP" stack on Windows,  I use
XAMPP these days.  I've never gotten around to figuring out how to build
the AMP stack on Windows.