[nycphp-talk] Making text hard to copy

David Roth davidalanroth at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 03:01:49 EDT 2010

Anthony, I think for the average visitor to a web page, I would look
into outputting the text as an image. This way it could be made to
look like a regular web page and doesn't require the visitor to
install or update anything on their computer such as Flash. I remember
seeing some routines built-in to PHP that including writing text over
a graphic. The graphic could be simply white to look like the
background of the web page or whatever the design is.

You could write some test examples and run them at the Linux command
level using the 'time' command to see how much overhead they really
add vs displaying the text:

time php textasgraphic.php
time php justtext.php

Before anyone else further beats up on the concept, I can understand
why someone would prefer not to have people copy and paste their
content out of context and  e-mail it around such as a company news
release, where the company would prefer people direct others to the
web page itself.

David Roth