[nycphp-talk] YAML and Database Definitions

Chris Snyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 08:12:46 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Gary Mort <garyamort at gmail.com> wrote:

> So now I'm wondering is YAML used in such a manner and is there a standard
> definition for how to use YAML, or is both Doctrine and Andromeda simply
> rolling their own systems?  I don't want to point him to the main YAML site,
> because frankly outside of database design he really has no interest in
> learning another millionth computer language.

You have concept mismatch there. YAML is a way (one of thousands) to
store structured data. Like XML, or CSV, or JSON, or the binary
formats used by databases. It's a file format.

Access is a platform, as are Doctrine and Andromeda.

File formats are generally interchangeable with a little work. If they
wanted to, Andromeda could switch to JSON tomorrow. Changing platforms
often requires restarting from scratch.

Are you really asking if you should use Access, since it is so widely used?