[nycphp-talk] YAML and Database Definitions

Justin Dearing zippy1981 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 11:50:37 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Gary Mort <garyamort at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Ajai Khattri <ajai at bitblit.net> wrote:
>
>>  There is no standard for defining how to describe databases. YAML is
>> simply a convenient format for use in config files for any
>> language/framework).
>>

>> Sure there is, it's called SQL.  If you avoid functions that are not cross
> platform, it's fairly easy to take SQL database creation scripts in one
> platform and import them in another.

There is far too much that's not cross platform. e.g.:

   - UUID/Guid column types
   - How do I mark an integer artificial key as auto increment (in MS SQL
   its called interval)
   - Can I name my primary key (and how do I drop the foreign key)
   - Table partitioning
   - Filtered/partial indexing
   - triggers

Regards,