[nycphp-talk] YAML and Database Definitions

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 12:12:32 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Justin Dearing <zippy1981 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Gary Mort <garyamort at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Sure there is, it's called SQL.  If you avoid functions that are not cross
>> platform, it's fairly easy to take SQL database creation scripts in one
>> platform and import them in another.
>

> There is far too much that's not cross platform. e.g.:
>

>    - UUID/Guid column types
>    - How do I mark an integer artificial key as auto increment (in MS SQL
>    its called interval)
>    - Can I name my primary key (and how do I drop the foreign key)
>    - Table partitioning
>    - Filtered/partial indexing
>    - triggers

Keep in mind, most of that list is not available or not generally used in
MySQL 4.x

Unfortunately, since most of the world is still MySQL 4,  open source
projects have to code for that - so I tend to avoid special functions.

Auto increment is really the only one that can be flaky, so a find/replace
does the job.

So I should have said, /for me/ SQL is pretty good for cross database engine
definitions.