[nycphp-talk] YAML and Database Definitions

Justin Dearing zippy1981 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 12:40:06 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Gary Mort <garyamort at gmail.com> wrote:

> Keep in mind, most of that list is not available or not generally used in
> MySQL 4.x
>
> Unfortunately, since most of the world is still MySQL 4,  open source
> projects have to code for that - so I tend to avoid special functions.
>
> Can you define "most of the world?" Are you talking about most hosting
providers? Are you talking about what most mature open source projects
support? I don't think I understand your requirements.

If my requirements were "higher level language for representing databases
designed with erwin/db2 and implemented with access," I'd seek a higher
feature set then mysql 4.

If my requirements were "something andromeda like for new open source
projects targeted at shared hosting" I'd go with mysql 5 or postgres.

If my requirements were "schema designer for drupal/joomla extensions" and
the decision of mysql 4 was therefore made for me, Then I'd assume mysql 4
level SQL.

Now,with all that being said, If I were pre-dispositioned towards
referential integrity and schema being handled in the app level (which I am
not, big surprise), I'd use mongo for new developement. With its ability to
define stored procs in javascript, and, and 10gen listening to the
community, its a sure win.