[nycphp-talk] define variables versus assigned variables

Konstantin K kkrutoi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 00:22:50 EST 2010

1. Your defined constants should be all CAPITALIZED.
2. I ran some tests earlier last year (2009) for this and found the following:
    - using class constants (and accessing it via
ClassName::ConstantName) was about 30x faster than using define().
    - there were about 1000 constants used (it's a pretty big and
configurable app).
    - the tests were run using ab (with the top 10% and bottom 10%
edge results thrown out)
    - the tests were run with apc and without apc.

Will it make or break your app when it's under stress?  Definitely not.

Konstantin