[nycphp-talk] email system for website

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Sun Jan 3 17:55:19 EST 2010

> after a successful action just use a wrapper for mail(). When you need
> to fire off 1000s of emails, use a system specifically built for that
> purpose.

So how about this:

For things like password recovery, private message notifications, welcome
emails, etc. that are initiated by the user and are only sent to one user,
I'll do those in the code base (the negative being I have to code that
twice, in both front ends).

For things like thread subscriptions, user subscriptions, alerts, etc.,
which could potentially go to multiple users, I'll do those in the
background with a cron.

Does this make sense?