[nycphp-talk] IIS 7, trigger_error, and Large File Uploads

Jake McGraw jmcgraw1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 09:40:31 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Justin Dearing <zippy1981 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 7:17 AM, David Krings <ramons at gmx.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just being curious and sorry for digressing, but which requirements would
>>> that be? Running commodity tasks on the most expensive server OS with the
>>> worst web server available?
>
> With an attitude like that, businesses must be busting down your door
> begging you to migrate them from ASP.NET on IIS to PHP.
> This is 2010, and windows doesn't suck like it used to. Yes I'll there is no
> "I will do all the work myself because I have no cash and plenty of time"
> option for windows, so you're paying $469 for your server OS minimum
> (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/pricing.aspx). However,
> unless you are a one man shop running one server and one workstation, you
> probably have some sort of Technet subscription, or the equivalent for your
> OS.

PHP on IIS will get better soon, see:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/25/dziuba_microsoft_php/

However, why anyone would choose any part of the MS stack to host
their LAMP app is beyond me. Ubuntu Server w/ LAMP takes about 20
minutes to install and works wonderfully out of the box is free and
incredibly well maintained.

- jake