[nycphp-talk] Suspending virtual machines with Samba shares

Chris Snyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 14:12:36 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Yitzchak Schaffer
<yitzchak.schaffer at gmx.com> wrote:

> For my dev environment, I have a Linux VM (VMware Server 2) running on a
> Win7 host laptop.  I have a Samba share set up so's I can use my
> Win7-based editing tools.
> Has anyone discovered a way to break an app out of Samba shock, or avoid
> having it happen in the first place, without killing processes?

Why suspend the VM at all? Won't VMWare just put execution on hold at
the same time as everything else on the laptop?

If not, it sounds like you need a Windows 7 suspend script that
cleanly disconnects the samba share before suspending the VM and then
the whole system. Presumably you could also use a resume script to put
it all back together again when you open the laptop later.