[nycphp-talk] IIS a dysfunctional kludge?

Justin Dearing zippy1981 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 09:43:05 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 9:30 AM, tedd <tedd.sperling at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a client who is setting up a server and is going the IIS route. What
> advice do you guys offer? Should he do it or change to Apache instead?
>
> Its kinda funny, but I am revisiting my "IIS on WIndows DUH"  stance the
past couple of days after having problems recently.

First of all, what are their requirements? If it put PHP on windows, and not
MSSQL server involved, then just install XAMPP. It works. That being said
some considerations for PHP on IIS:

   - Microsoft is recommending a nonthreadsafe compile of PHPanf the FastCGI
   module. CGI/FastCGI doesn't need thread support, and you get a speed boot by
   not having the thread checking built in.
   - If you need MSSQL server, use the microsft supplied driver.
   - I've had lots of problems with the microsoft web platform installer on
   windows 7 ultimate. SOAP driver does not seem to work at all. The mssql
   driver requires msvcrt71.dll which is not distributed with the WPI. The
   MSIs from windows.php.net seem to work