[nycphp-talk] xdebug / socket_accept() on a virtual machine

Yitzchak Schaffer yitzchak.schaffer at gmx.com
Fri Jan 15 11:03:38 EST 2010

Hello all,

I am trying to set up NetBeans with xdebug on a Win7 host and
VMware/Ubuntu "remote" virtual server, and am not able to connect to
xdebug via NetBeans.  I see xdebug enabled via phpinfo() and php -v, and
the xdebug functions like xdebug_call_file() work when called in the code.

Based on some HOWTOs, it seems like the dbgp listener (?) isn't working.
  When I run the following test from the command line:

<?php
$address = '127.0.0.1';
$port = 9000;
$sock = socket_create(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
socket_bind($sock, $address, $port) or die('Unable to bind');
var_dump( socket_listen($sock) );
var_dump( socket_accept($sock) );

...socket_listen() returns true, but socket_accept() keeps running.
This is running on VMware Server 2.0 with bridged networking.  Could
this be stemming from some networking issue?

Many thanks,

--
Yitzchak Schaffer
Systems Manager