[nycphp-talk] IIS a dysfunctional kludge?

Paul A Houle paul at devonianfarm.com
Thu Jan 14 11:54:02 EST 2010

Marcin Suterski wrote:
> If it's IIS7 than go for it.
>
> If it's IIS6 than make sure to run it through FastCGI.
>
> We are running IIS7 on Windows Server 2008 64bit boxes in production
> and we are very happy with it.
>
> Both, Zend and Microsoft, offer full stack installation packages.

    I've found that both Apache on Windows and IIS give acceptable
performance w/ PHP on lightly loaded servers.  (<10 hits/sec)  My
impression is,  overall,  that Apache serves static pages on Windows
about an order of magnitude slower than it does on an equivalent machine
running Linux...  Still,  I've seen Windows/Apache serve >100 static
hits per second and I think that would please a lot of people.

    Personally I develop on Windows and deploy on Linux.  I've been
happy with XAMPP as a development environment.  So long as you don't let
windows let you get sloppy about the case of filenames,  you'll do
alright...  Sometimes I think about configuring ext3 on my Linux
machines to be case insensitive to clear that little problem up.