[nycphp-talk] Color Scheme picker

tedd tedd.sperling at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 09:28:46 EST 2010

At 5:39 PM -0500 1/19/10, Gary Mort wrote:
>Yeah, that gives the HTML color codes, but no usage for them.
>
>The problem is I'm a great fiddler/incremental changer.  I hate
>making 20 decisions though, I'd rather make 40 adjustments to 20
>changes on a blank sheet of paper.
>
>So I have 6 colors and 12 shades I want to use.  Now I want a
>program which takes them all and generates either a dark or light
>sample page for me, and then allows me to export the css definitions
>for that.
>
>So on that page, when you click on the example, it pops up a
>lightbox example of what a page might look like with those colors
>assigned based on some algorythm,.  It is that example page I want
>the definitions for[or some app which will automatically assign
>things for me and then let me modify]

Gary:

I work with colors all the time and use several tools.

For general colors:

http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html
http://www.ficml.org/jemimap/style/color/wheel.html

If I need to find complimentary colors to match a picture, I use this:

http://www.degraeve.com/color-palette/

To address accessibility concerns, I use:

http://webbytedd.com/c/access-color/
http://gmazzocato.altervista.org/colorwheel/wheel.php
http://www.lighthouse.org/accessibility/design/accessible-print-design/effective-color-contrast

To find palettes:

http://slayeroffice.com/tools/color_palette/
http://www.colourlovers.com/blog/2008/01/16/free-advanced-dhtml-color-picker

For background colors and color ideas:

http://www.qgm.com/bgcolor.html
http://krazydad.com/colrpickr/
http://www.qgm.com/bgcolor.html

And finally, I don't know what system you're using, but I use Art
Director's Tool Kit application, namely;

http://www.code-line.com/software/artdirectorstoolkit5/

It's a great tool for picking up colors off the web (eyedropper).

HTH's

tedd

--
-------