[nycphp-talk] Plagiarism Checker in PHP

Mutaz Musa mutazmusa at gmail.com
Sun May 2 14:40:06 EDT 2010

Actually turnitin.com, a website where students turn in schoolwork, checks
for plagiarism and from what I understand does a pretty good job. They
compare both student-to-student and student-to-literature. I'm not sure how
they pull it off, probably a proprietary algorithm that tries to match
student submissions against their database of content where no match = no
plagiarism.  It seems like a mammoth task though. Turnitin.com actually
crawls academic journals, books, etc. to populate their database.

If you're interested only in comparing submissions to your site against one
another that may be more manageable. If on the other hand you want to
compare against online/print content in general then that will prove a real
challenge. Finally, if you have the money maybe you can register with
turnitin.com - although my impression is that their primarily for
universities/colleges.

http://turnitin.com/static/index.html

Best,
Mutaz