[nycphp-talk] SPROCs in the MySQL/PostgreSQL + PHP crowd

Chris Snyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 15:42:08 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Jerry B. Altzman <jbaltz at altzman.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just a question for those of you out there dealing with the F/OSS RDBMS's
> out there:
>
> How many of you are using stored procedures (SPROCs) with any great
> regularity?
>
> I know that in the commercial database world use of stored procedures is The
> Way Things Are Pretty Much Done, but I've not seen it in my brief forays
> through the bulk of PHP code I've examined (and needless to say, written).
> Am I just out of it? Is it just not considered usual practice, or am I
> blind?
>
> In this I'm also including triggers and other stored functions, but not
> parametrized queries (they're something different yet).
>
> I'll be happy to summarize (and anonymize) to the list.
>
> Thanks!
>
> //jbaltz
> --

I started in PHP/MySQL development before stored procedures were even
an option, and learned to make due without them. Obviously a heretical
approach, but when you know that the database is unlikely to be
accessed by anything other than your php code, it makes sense to keep
the logic in the application where it is easier to work with (and
subject to version control).