[nycphp-talk] MySQL slow query log/general mysql log

Anthony Wlodarski anthony at dating2p0.com
Tue Sep 7 14:22:48 EDT 2010

I don't know what type of OS this is on Nix/Windows/Other but when MySQL creates a default slow queries log file for Ubuntu it places this in /var/log/mysql which is not accessible to anyone other than super user.  By default this file is 640 so that owners and groups may access it.  For example on Ubuntu if you part of the "adm" group you can read the file.  I would steer away from global reading permissions on that log.

Going into the background on this why do you want to enable all users to read the file?  If so I would recommend creating a group and adding users to the group for viewing permissions.  The logs information could be used against you negatively if an attacker stumbles upon your file (somehow made available through your webserver) and knows how your database reads and writes the information passed to it.

Internally no daemons such as the MySQL Daemon will bark about permissions to the file as they have access to the log by default.