[nycphp-talk] How much is a site redesign worth?

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Sat Apr 2 12:48:06 EDT 2011

Ed,

The reality of this economy is that small & medium sized businesses ARE
NOT GOING TO PAY more than $2,000 a week for an engineer.

If you disagree, I mean, that's great, I'd love to make twice that but
the reality is that if I ask for $4,000 a week, I'm going to be looking
for work for A LONG TIME.  And $2,000 in US cash is worth far more than
$4,000 in my fantasy world of what I'd "like to earn".

I'll even take $6,500 a month on occasion if the project is for someone
I want to help.  I think that it's great to aim higher, I am all in
favor of making the bucks, but in this economy $8,000 a month is A LOT
in these company's minds.

I agree if someone is getting jerked around and asked for "small
updates" (which I don't waste time with, I take on larger projects in
the area of $5,000 + only), then yeah.  But the reality is, $8,000 a
month is what people earn.   This is provable, this is reality, and
fantasizing about making what lawyers make isn't going to change that
reality.

Kristina