[nycphp-talk] Usernames with whitespace

Anthony Wlodarski anthony at tinkertownlabs.com
Mon Aug 1 08:43:06 EDT 2011

If you were to allow spaces in the user name I would force them all to
lower case (avoid duplicates if properly spaced).  However collapsing
spaces is an idea I would not even entertain to use.  "John  Foobar" vs.
"John Foobar" is something that is always prone to errors if a user has
to input their name into a text field.  You could also break the input
elements into a first name and last name fields.  When you go to display
that information then you can properly insert the spaces.