[nycphp-talk] Rate limiters for sign ups for a site.

Anthony Wlodarski anthony at tinkertownlabs.com
Mon Aug 15 13:04:40 EDT 2011

I signed up for ReCaptcha via Google and have implemented it
successfully.  I was hesitant to use it based on the ease of which it
can be defeated by OCR software but it is getting harder and harder for
bots as well as humans to decipher the images.  I am going to seriously
consider (well more like definitely implement but just have to plan it)
email verification.  The ReCaptcha is coupled with Zend Framework.  I
extended the Zend_Service_ReCaptcha class ass I wanted to provide a
custom theme for the class and I do have to say that it is working out
quite well.

I do also see now how IP limiting would definitely lead to DoS for some
clients and the site is accessible to all.  I plan to write up how to
extend the Zend class at the end of the day.  I'll post a link to my
blog by the end of the day.

-Anthony