[nycphp-talk] The user table

Rob Marscher rmarscher at beaffinitive.com
Mon Mar 7 14:34:39 EST 2011

On Mar 7, 2011, at 2:28 PM, Paul A Houle wrote:
> On 3/6/2011 10:26 PM, Matt Juszczak wrote:
>>
>> Yes, but most nosql databases aren't designed for durability or reliable persistence.  Remember -- one can always use MySQL as a "noSQL" DB by simply de-normalizing, or applying the "schemaless" patch.

> Proper organization of data in a schema can improve performance by a factor of 100 or so vs something that's disorganized.  Even if I did use mongodb for the use I'm considering it for,  I'd be adding a layer that imposes some structure on top of it.

Another thing is that since mongo let's you dump any data in it, a typo in your code could make you accidently insert or search for something with the wrong key name or collection name and you wouldn't get an obvious error like in mysql.

The Lithium framework allows you to define a schema for your document models.  Probably exactly what you're looking for: http://lithify.me/docs/lithium/data/Model::$_schema